My Readers in Last 30 Days:My Readers in Last 30 Days

Growth Mindset in the Classroom


Like many good teachers, I sometimes question my work, my methods and even the impact of my work on my students.  Recently, I have been particularly interested in the impact of mindset in the classroom.

Teaching is rarely a hundred-meter race, but mostly a marathon. After learning about how growth mindset helps a student learn, I've found that I've become more and more interested in my own mindset when I'm teaching. 

Those moments when we are about to start learning something new. Students may express frustration when faced with something new, and perhaps what they are supposed to learn seems overwhelming to them.

In such situations, it is crucial to demonstrate the learning process and get the students to engage with the challenge. 

Then, step by step, the teacher guides his or her students through the learning process. Sometimes learning happens in a steady, gradual process, sometimes it is a clear moment of insight when all the pieces fall into place.

It's a moment of joy when you see your students learning new skills and feel excited about it, too.  Growth Mindset helps educators create more of those moments.